Gaming @ Home

My custom mame control panel design and any arcade / game related info.

Monday, April 24, 2006

MameRoom.com

You probably noticed that my parts list did not contain any wood? Well, as I stated before, I live in an apartment and not only do I not have room for a full arcade cabinet, but I don't have room to cut wood and everything else involved with building the actual control boxes.
I used an old plastic floppy disk case (see previous post for picture) to house the Ultimarc IPAC4 circuit board. Used my dremel to cut the holes for the connectors and for the USB connections.

For the control panel boxes themselves, I used MameRoom.com, they are great. I used their Control Panel Kit Designer to design and layout the boxes. Sent them the files that the program created and presto. A week or so later, I have 2 control panel boxes to put together. If you want to read a review of the service from MameRoom, check this link out at RetroBlast.com

2 things to keep in mind while designing your control panels. There should be a disclaimer in the software about the wood thickness. I specified 1/2 inch wood, but they can't use 1/2 because of the cam and post mechanisms. They increased the thickness but didn't take into account the rest of the measurements so things were kinda tight. It still worked but not as nicely as I would have liked. Also, the cam holes were not as tight as I would have liked. I could remove them freely from the holes. I used some gorilla glue to build a mold around the cams in the hole so it made a nice fit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home